Monday, March 20, 2006

Cindy Sheehan giving peace signUgh. What a walk. And for what? For this. Drudge used the word "fizzled" to describe the other anti-war protests this week. I don't know about them. I wasn't there. But I believe it. And, OK, maybe they fizzled; but this one never got lit. I counted them. I counted 166 protesters (give or take a couple). I also counted 45 to 50 media types buzzing about. That's one media bloke for every four (4) protesters. Hmmm. And don't let them lie to you. 166. I counted them. Give or take. OK, I'll have some video [UPDATE: VIDEO is up] later. I still have to process it ... I have to process all the boring stuff out. That won't leave much. And I'm tired and cranky. I just walked from the Lincoln Memorial to the Pentagon and back (not counting the walk to the Metro). My feet hurt and I'm pissed off. This protest was a geriatric wasteland. Full of dour people who didn't talk. It almost made me miss Code Pink. Actually, it did. It made me miss Code Pink. G-d I thought I'd never say something like that. A good protest needs verve or something. This one lacked almost everything, including: 1. Creative, interesting signs 2. Controversial speeches 3. People who can sing (you'll understand later) [UPDATE: experience it NOW] 4. Protest babes (1.5 by my count ... that's a bad ratio) We'll start with SIGNS: We'll start on a high note. This was one of the best. The thing I like about this one is the raw, uncomplicated theme ... the arresting color palette. You know immediately where this guy stands a mile away. Simple. Clear. The problem was it was far too big ... he over-reached ... his enthusiasm got the better of him. And it was a windy day. He could barely hold it up standing in a park ... and we were going to cross a bridge. It was left behind. Here's the other side. Terse. Ya gotta admire terse. Contrast that (literally) with this one. Grayscale. Hard to read. Much too busy. Are those chains on Bush? You really have got to get close to this one to get much out of it. The message is murky ... too much being said. What is this, an essay? It's a protest sign for cripes sake. Keep it simple. Aren't these people supposed to be the "smart" and "creative" ones? Sheesh. What's wrong with a little planning? A little planning?!? I got so drowsy after looking at this one I had to crack a Red Bull with no restrooms in sight. There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start. Color. Visible? Yes. But let's face it ... putrid. And then there's the planning issue again. Get your canvas' real-estate straight before putting pen to paper, folks. And is that Bush? I guess so, but I think in this event a photo would have been more convincing. From a few meters it looks like Mickey Rooney. I had to ask this guy what this meant. Rule 1: never carry a sign that someone needs to ask what the heck it means. Apparently Shannon airbase in Ireland is where some US fighters and bombers stop on their way to Iraq. And don't EVER recycle these things. I saw this exact same one at the Code Pink rally. Come on! Actually, it does make me a bit nostalgic. OK, here's one I can actually get behind, sorta. Simple. To the point. A classic. The figure at the bottom is a bit confusing, but I can sorta see where they're going. Sixty's font is a nice touch. Brings me back. Frodo lives.

8 comments:

  1. Good work!

    Feet hurt? A badge of courage!

    Yes, 160 old fogies, inside their minds reliving the 'gory days' of yesteryear!

    Winning the war in Iraq is too much for them to spin away, and their heads are literally exploding! Mweh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Another in the clan, and NOT Ibrahim (that traitor)!

    Glad to meetcha.

    You might find things to your liking at:
    BrainSurgeryWithSpoons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's hilarious..... good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez! Postitive Force DC couldn't rustle up a few dozen unwashed middle class kids to help smash the state?

    Zombie's pics from SF make this protest look like the bees knees in comparison. Come on, DC, show some east coast pride. Represent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AoH(T), thanks for your sacrifice on such a beautiful day having to hang out with so many dead-enders. Quite the blog-o-trooper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! Much appreciated over at CBT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear age of hopper, Why do you have nothing better to do with your time, then go out amongst the anti-war protestors and make fun of their signs? Why aren't you over in Iraq fighting in Bush's war since you think it funny to protest against it? But I do want to thank you for the picture BushChained.jpg. Which you sarcastically commented: "Contrast that (literally) with this one. Grayscale. Hard to read. Much too busy. Are those chains on Bush? You really have got to get close to this one to get much out of it. The message is murky ... too much being said. What is this, an essay? It's a protest sign for cripes sake. Keep it simple.
    Aren't these people supposed to be the "smart" and "creative" ones? Sheesh."

    I am posting this on my thinkingblue.blogspot.com today. IT SAYS IT ALL! Thanks again, thinkingblue

    ReplyDelete
  8. thinkingblue,

    That's "Age of Hooper".

    Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete