Monday, November 27, 2006

Fellow-Travellers arrive at Reagan National Airport. Imam Omar Shahin of Tucson AZ managed to cobble together an "inter-faith" pray-in today at Reagan National Airport ... early. 8:15 am. I had to get up at 5:30 am to make it in time for this. For this. **** UPDATE **** Here's the video! [Requires Flash] [click the "play" button] I'm uploading to YouTube and will post that when processed. **** UPDATE **** Here's the YouTube version: The things we do to keep you informed. It [the "pray-in"] was a classic example of modern media manipulation and propaganda ... hardly anything there was actually what it seemed to be. I'll be posting one of my own videos on that subject later ... for now I'll leave you with a few photos. There was, of course, the standard media-swarm. G-d forbid they miss an opportunity to display their "courage" and "concern". More on that in the video. I swear that one of these day's I'll point my video camera into this crowd and allow you all a quick snapshot of the type of things these guys talk about. On the other hand, it's probably just about what you'd expect so why bother running the risk of becoming a pariah. Still. A lot of my old friends showed up ... among them Imam Mahdi Bray, who is the executive director of the Muslim American Society (MAS) Freedom Foundation. I have to admit that I have a grudging affection for Imam Bray ... I'm spoken to him and have seen him at a number of these protest rallies ... and he does seem to be a genuine fellow of peace and a devout Muslim. Perhaps I'm being naive, given his reputation elsewhere ... but I've never ... personally ... detected any animosity from him nor have I heard first-hand anything beyond what I could classify as more than just common left-wing spittle [which, perhaps, I've become just too used to]. Too bad he hangs out with these types and ANSWER thugs. I suppose it's a living. A devilishly handsome bloke, though. This guy showed up, too. "Rabbi" Arthur Waskow. He's a Reconstructionist. I know that doesn't mean much to the non-tribal readers. Frankly, it doesn't mean much to the tribe, either. It's all very confusing. Suffice to say that it qualifies as "Jewish", but just to the left of Unitarian.

**** UPDATE: 11/29 **** I've just been informed that our friend Waskow here has left the already wacky Reconstructionist movement and has merged into the barely sentient "Jewish Renewal" movement [which, frankly I had never even heard of] ... talk about a slide into darkness. This is the best they could get? This is sort of like getting Jim Jones to stand up as a representative of the Vatican.
He definitely needs talit-wearing lessons. I assure you ... it's an art and this "rabbi" doesn't have the beginning of a clue. Here's a link to his web site. About what you'd expect. He's a friend of Cindy Sheehan's so I suppose that makes him a good Jew to keep around, just in case. Like now ... when they actually need one. Hold the phone! Who is this distinguished, full-bearded gentleman stepping up to the mike in his expensive suit? Could it be the Reverend Graylan Hagler of the United Church of Christ? What's that he's saying about America? What's that he's saying about the Jews and getting along together? My word, but he seems to be a reasonable bloke! Mon dieu! It is! It is the Rev Hagler! Now, where have I seen him before? Ah ... now I remember ... more on that [later] in the video. Heh. It pays to go to more than one of these.

1 comment:

  1. You know what would be nice in the future is to take a laptop with these videos to another "pray in" and play for the crowd and and cameras and see what reactions you'd get. What would you think would happen? More bleading hearts? Anger?

    ReplyDelete